Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Il Fiume . . . The River


A test knit for my new base yarn, ‘LoveLace’, and a birthday gift for a very special friend of mine.
It is my own design, along the lines of the ‘Baktus Scarf’, cast on a certain amount of stitches… then, when you get to 50g of yarn, repeat the design but in reverse, so it is mirrored.
Heavily influenced by the ‘Swiss Cheese Scarf’ by Winnie Shih, with regards to the constructed circles, because as you all know, I am a little obsessed with constructed holes :P
The fabric the yarn creates is lovely, silky but firm to the touch


'LoveLace' was a complete dream to work with, and I am not just saying that because I want it to sell... *GRiN*

Of course, it took a little time to wind into a ball, (especially as I hand wound it, mainly in the dark, on a car journey up to see my Parents at Christmas)... hahaha :P
As I tell folks who might have trouble winding my yarns (as my dyeing process can be a little vigorous), it really is about the journey the yarn takes you on. 
Having the yarn run through your fingers, and seeing it emerge into a workable ball... and the thinking time this process provides in itself... 
For me this thinking time consists of excitement and impatience to get it cast on and trepidation as to whether I chose the right project for the yarn...
It truly is the beginning of a rewarding journey together, from skein, to ball and onto the knitting and ultimately to the piece of fabric that emerges.



4 Comments:

Blogger Queenie said...

WOW - clever you! That's beautiful :-)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oo it's lovely! Beautiful work both dyeing and knitting

5:56 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I've seen and touched this work of art today - a truly beautiful piece of work!

I do love winding lace and 4ply yarn by hand, it helps me to get an idea of what it will be like to knit with - so glad to find I'm not alone in that preference!

11:34 PM  
Blogger BabyLongLegs said...

Aww... thanks everyone :D
Hope your treatment went well today, Yvonne ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home